Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are unique areas of both challenge and opportunity for Learning Professionals.
In this sea change moment in our culture, there has never been a time of more need and desire to drive inclusion. At the same time, the comfort level and sense of “safe space” to discuss these issues are at all-time lows.
You and your colleagues are invited to participate in our just-added, unique, vendor-neutral Diversity & Learning Lab experience hosted and led by Jayzen Patria, an international learning leader, at the MASIE Center in Saratoga Springs.
April 10-12, 2018 | MASIE Center | Saratoga Springs, NY
At this unique point in time when divisive political and cultural discourse and news of shocking, inappropriate, and illegal behavior is the new normal of water cooler and smartphone conversation, you will explore how learning and development can create “safe spaces” to have conversations that drive diversity, inclusion, and belonging in today’s workplace.
Together, we will roll up our sleeves and explore how to:
- Build a continuous learning system and environment that supports and drives your diversity strategies.
- Weave diversity, inclusion, and belonging throughout the fabric of EVERY learning event, rather than segregating those topics as individual modules or separate programs.
- Extend diversity beyond the traditional classroom into digital, social, and virtual learning platforms.
- Role model inclusion by accelerating diverse representation in the learning and development community so that we reflect the workforces we serve.
Additional Details & Objectives
Jayzen Patria will host a small group of learning colleagues. Diversity, Inclusion and Learning Leaders from around the world will interact with the LAB participants by video throughout this LAB. Come prepared to share, learn, and design with fellow learning professionals and thought leaders, as well as your own board of stakeholders back at the office (via connected technology).
We will explore:
- Partnering with internal diversity and inclusion (D&I) groups and others to drive D&I efforts.
- Connecting the dots in broader D&I strategy, including supplier diversity, multicultural product & marketing, community investment, and governance in addition to workforce & talent initiatives through learning.
- Applying learning design to enhance traditionally stale legal and compliance training.
- Balancing when and where to program top subject matter experts; ensuring representation of diverse speakers in programs and in the classroom
- Creating enormous amounts of evidence and data around diversity that can drive embracement.
- As a learning profession, “walking-the-talk” on diversity.
- Managing workplace standards of inclusion and respect when public figures and discourse demonstrate behaviors inconsistent with your organization’s values.
- Identifying key inclusion skills required at key inflection points in an employee’s lifecycle, such as being a first-time manager and moving into department leadership or executive roles.
- Battling “Diversity Fatigue” – where people pay lip service to diversity in public, but what they think in private might be very different – to engage people in both the conversation and action.
- Adapting and building Talent Development initiatives to include D&I skills and themes vs. creating separate systems and events to address inclusion.
- Balancing the intersectionality of traditionally marginalized identities with the nuances of generational and interpersonal styles.
- Building the new language of change by identifying behaviors and skills needed now and in the future for workers to safely and appropriately manage situations where inclusion and belonging are compromised.
- Leveraging the power of storytelling to build empathy and drive authenticity.
- Harnessing the power of technology like AR, VR, Alexa, and Siri to create the next generation of learner-centered D&I simulation.
- Moving beyond a traditional view of Diversity to a focus on building work cultures where all employees feel included and that they belong.
The Diversity & Learning LAB is a hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves event where you will be working both individually and in groups to define the future of D&I in Learning. You can expect to leave with:
- A tangible action plan to move your learning organization forward in driving D&I as a key business imperative.
- A new mindset and understanding of the current state of D&I in learning and the key trends impacting the discussion to share with your team and broader organization.
- A network of like-minded learning and talent professionals to share best practices and ideate/collaborate with as you continue your journey.