2012masielogo


March 29, 2009 - 532 Responses

How are learning budgets, resources and activities being impacted by the economic crisis?

Here is the first Learning Resources Barometer, published by The MASIE Center. 532 responses were gathered in late March 2009, reflecting organizations of all sizes. Of those responses, 77% were received from areas in the US. The remaining 23% represented other countries from around the globe.

The data indicates that 62% of organizations are experiencing a reduction in their enterprise learning budget. Only 12% are experiencing an increase.. Details about the changes in learning services provided or purchased are reflected in the questions below.

We will repeat this Learning Barometer on a regular basis.


1. Our overall Enterprise Learning Budget has:


Item

Percent %

Increased Substantially

2%

Increased Moderately

10%

Stayed the Same

25%

Decreased Moderately

41%

Decreased Substantially

21%


2. The size of our Learning Department has:


Item

Percent %

Increased Substantially

2%

Increased Moderately

11%

Stayed the Same

51%

Decreased Moderately

26%

Decreased Substantially

10%


3. Spending on external services (i.e., consultant, content development, program delivery and/or software/content licensing services) has:


4. The volume of eLearning modules we offer has:


5. The volume of face-to-face classes and seminars has:


6. The volume of virtual/webinar offers has:



7. Content Authoring Systems:



8. Social Learning (Communities and Collaboration):


9. Gaming/Simulations:



10. UserContent:


11. Competency Management:


12. Employee travel for learning has:


13. Use of Tuition Reimbursement has:


14. Over the last 3 months, the Learning department has done:



Item

Percent %

More with More Resources

11%

More with Fewer Resources

45%

About the Same with More Resources

4%

About the Same with Fewer Resources

30%

Less with More Resources

1%

Less with Fewer Resources

9%


15. Plans for a Learning System (LMS/LCMS) include: (Select all that apply)

Item

Percent %

Customized an existing system

10%

Upgraded an existing system

17%

Expanded the functionality of an existing system

18%

Purchased a new system

10%

Changed where we hosted an existing system

4%

Reevaluated our licensing/SaaS contract

8%

Initiated an RFI or RFP

7%

Reduced the number of systems we manage

8%

Migrated to an open source or lower-cost system

7%

No Changes to our LMS or LCMS

49%



Demographics of Responses

16. Industry:

Item

Total Number

Association/Non-Profit

15

Communications

12

Consumer Products

10

Education - Higher Ed

56

Financial Services/Banking

58

Food/Beverage

5

Government

40

Healthcare

47

Insurance

36

Intelligence/Millitary

0

Manufacturing

46

Media

5

Pharma/Bio Tech

15

Professional Services

52

Real Estate

0

Retail

26

Technology

77

Transportation/Logistics

10


17. Organization Size:

Item

Percent %

1,000-4,999

23%

1-499

22%

5,000-29,999

21%

30,000-99,999

14%

500-999

7%

100,00-249,999

7%

250,000-1,000,000

4%

Over 1 Million

2%

This survey was conducted by The MASIE Center. Results are in the public domain.